Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Adventures of Home Schooling

One thing I never wanted to do was home school. Not because I didn't think I was capable, but because I thought there was much more opportunity else where for the kids. Being a kid that moved a lot growing up, I know what it is like to have to adjust not only to a new town, but a new house, new neighbors, new friends, new church and a new school. We decided to do the home school thin for a number of reasons. First of all the curriculum the girls were using at their school lends it self very well to home schooling, secondly, we have no idea how long we will be here and we thought that adjustment might be better for the kids doing it this way. Ariel and I had our moments at the beginning. She wanted to make sure that mom had rules and regulations like her teacher did and she pushed all the limits. Through trial and error, and much prayer, I think we have gotten into a groove. I still think she is much smarter than I. Belle, on the other hand, has only known me as a teacher. She had almost 2 month in real school before we moved but has adjusted nicely to home school. She's reading and amazes me all the time! I tell people that I hope I don't screw them up too badly and she told me once, momma, you won't screw me up. Gotta love the faith of a child. The girls are able to keep up with their peers and have been able to go back to their school a few times, another one of the reasons that we opted for this route in schooling. Ariel's teacher has been very kind and is helping me find my way through this adventure. I have a new appreciation for teachers and home schooling moms. I adore my children and am loving being with them and teaching them. It still makes me awe struck when they get a concept for the first time and the light goes on. I'm thankful for this opportunity to be involved in this area of my kids' life.

No comments:

Post a Comment